Some common questions will be answered in the following Property Owner FAQs.
1. Why should I hire Windermere Sunland Property Management for my rental property?
If you lack the time or inclination required for day-to-day management of your real estate investments, we can help. Windermere Sunland Property Management can help you:
- Market your rental property to minimize vacancies and maximize income.
- We know the rental market.
- We know what comparable properties are renting for and what potential renters are willing to pay.
- We have the marketing skills to reach potential renters and have the experience and resources to weed out potential undesirable renters.
- We fill vacancies with the best possible tenants.
- Maintain and keep your rental property in good condition.
- We deal with and coordinate routine repairs as well as emergency repairs.
- Track income and expenses to determine profitability.
- Negotiate rental agreements.
- Collect rent and track tenant deposits.
- Comply with Federal, State and Local laws.
- Respond to tenant requests, problems, and problem tenants.
2. What services do you provide?
We do everything required to maintain the property and provide you with the greatest return on your investment including, but not limited to:
- Locating and screening prospective tenants
- Inventory and condition reports
- Collecting and disbursing rents
- Deposits to client accounts, if desired.
- Coordination of cleaning, repairs and regular maintenance
- Periodic property inspections
3. Why shouldn’t I manage my property myself?
Some owners choose to manage their property/properties themselves and some are successful. However, it can be a full-time endeavor and many owners find their valuable time is better spent elsewhere. Important reasons to consider Windermere Sunland Property Management:
- We are well-versed in Landlord Tenant law.
- We are aware of the constantly changing Federal and State mandates governing them.
- Expertise in advertising, leasing, arranging repairs collecting rents.
- Experience and knowledge of procedures handling evictions and preventing litigation.
4. Does Washington State require that property managers be licensed?
Yes. Washington State requires that any person managing properties through a management company be licensed. The Property Manager(s) at Windermere Sunland Property Management are licensed Real Estate Broker(s) with proven experience in the field and extensive education
5. Can Windermere Sunland Property Management help me find and keep good tenants?
Our goal is to obtain quality, long-term tenants for your rental property (properties). We accomplish this by:
- A complete and thorough credit report on each adult applicant.
- A complete verification of rental history.
- Verification from employer(s).
- An eviction search and a background check from court records.
6. Can you help me avoid undesirable tenants?
Undesirable tenants will typically seek out owner managed rentals because they know they cannot pass the application process with property managers. They assume the rent is likely to be less, and that the scrutiny of their financial situation and background won’t be fully investigated. Undesirable tenants can’t be evicted without notice and an eviction can take months and sometimes end up costing more money than expected. With our expertise, experience and stringent procedures for all applicants we strive to avoid potential “undesirables”.
7. How quickly does Windermere Sunland Property Management process monthly rents and statements to property owners?
We pride ourselves on a quick turnaround of rents and statements. We generally process rents and deposits as they arrive during the first week of the month and mail statements accordingly, usually by the 10th of the month.
8. How often and how do you complete the property inspections?
- A “Move-In” inspection is done prior to the tenants moving into the property.
- We use a “walk through form” to detail the condition of the interior and exterior of the property.
- We take the opportunity during all inspections to go over any general maintenance the property may require and/or special instructions for appliance/plumbing care.
- Generally, we perform another walk through inspection within six (6) months after the tenant has taken residence. Sooner if warranted, or if requested by the owner.
- Another inspection is done at the time of lease renewal.
- Periodically, we will do what we call a “drive by” to view the exterior.
- Another inspection is done when the tenant is vacating. Thus ensuring that the tenant is leaving the property in the same condition in which it was leased. Pictures will be taken if necessary.
- Should we find any damages, we will have the damage repaired and deduct the expense from the tenant’s security deposit.
- We will refund any remaining deposit in accordance with Washington State law
9. What happens if my tenant is not looking after the property?
If we observe that the tenant is not keeping the property, interior or exterior to the terms of the lease agreement, we will issue a notice to comply;
- We will issue a notice with the item(s) needing to be corrected, cleaned, repaired, etc.
- We will cite the lease agreement.
- We will give them a stipulated time limit in which to comply. If said notice is ignored, we will issue a termination lease notice requiring the tenants to vacate.
- If they respond to the notice and ask for more time to correct the problem, it will usually be granted, unless this is repeat behavior.
10. Who maintains the lawns and gardens?
The maintenance of the lawns and gardens is the responsibility of the tenant, unless otherwise stated in the lease agreement. Some owners prefer to have their own gardeners take care of the landscaping.
11. What happens when a tenant stops paying rent?
- If rent is not paid when due, steps will be taken to arrange payment.
- If payment arrangements are made, we set a date of payment in full. Should the tenant not pay as agreed, we will mail and post a “3 day pay or vacate” notice.
- In the rare case the tenant does not pay, the tenant’s information is given to our attorney to begin the eviction process. It is crucial that everything be done legally and at the correct time.
12. What if a tenant needs evicting?
Although we will do everything possible to avoid problem tenants, an eviction may still become necessary. We help assist you through the entire process by providing the required eviction notices, assistance in filing court documents and working with the local sheriff to have the tenant removed.
13. Will I have to pay for property repairs?
Yes. Just as you would if you were to manage the property yourself, you are still responsible for maintaining the property. The advantages of allowing us to handle the maintenance issues of your investment property are extensive.
- We have a relationship with many vendors in the area and the capability of negotiating with them due to the volume. Saving you time and money.
- We have in-house maintenance for general repairs.
- Our general maintenance man knows how to identify problems caused by normal wear and tear verses damage caused by tenant abuse or neglect.
- We will gets bids for bigger jobs and email them to you.
- We will send you all copies of paid invoices.
The management agreement will give Windermere Sunland Property Management authorization to perform necessary maintenance work at the property up to a predefined monetary limit. We will contact you for any jobs over that limit.
14. What is your leasing fee?
We charge the first full month’s rent, and 10% each month thereafter. You will not be charged this fee until a tenant has moved into your home. If you’re not making money, neither are we.
15. Is the cost of property management deductible?
Yes. The cost of our management services are deductible, just like your mortgage interest, property taxes, and the cost of repairs. (See your tax advisor for details)
16. If I decide to sell my property, can Windermere Sunland Property Management help?
Absolutely!! All property managers are licensed Real Estate Brokers and would be more than happy to assist you. We will provide you with all information needed to help you make your decision. We are here to serve YOU!
17. Does Windermere Sunland Property Management charge any fees while my property is vacant?
No! Our goal is to rent your home to a qualified tenant as quickly as possible. Since we will actively be showing your property, we will be able to oversee the condition of the home during our showings and make any necessary arrangements at that time. We do not feel it is appropriate to charge a monthly fee in addition to collecting a placement fee once a tenant has moved into the home. Windermere does not charge any fees until a tenant has signed a lease, paid all funds due, and taken financial responsibility of your property.